Friday, January 7, 2011

A Right Resolution

2 Corinthians 4:16: "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly  we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."

The first week of our New Year's Resolutions is behind us! Truth is I am NOT a big fan of making them- probably because I never keep them. Give up Carbs? Diet DP?! Are you kidding me?! No thanks. Last year I made a resolution to lose 20 lbs....I did the opposite. The list goes on: give up ADDING salt (im a salt-a-holic)...turn OFF the TV...read more...eat smaller portions...dont be a slave to my e-mail.

There is, however, one resolution worth considering- 2 Cor 4:16 says that the inner man- our inner beings, the new creation- MUST be renewed "day by day". It's a necessity! Just like drinking water, eating food....we cant live without it! The inner man has to be daily nourished whether it's a new year, spring, summer, fall, or winter. Too often we feed our inner being by going to church on Sundays or in a small group. Many of us allow the year to wear us down because we ignore the simple fact- our fellowship with God MUST be renewed day by day. "Our Inner being metabolizes quickly and just one day of neglect will bring on spiritual malnutrition." Just like in a marriage, a close friendship, etc....those relationships dont maintain themselves- they take time, quality AND quantity. They take talking, and most importantly LISTENTING.

Eph 3:16- I pray "that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man." Covenant with God today to invite HIM to replenish you as you spend time in His Word and in prayer. It's a must. It's one resultion you can't afford to not keep. It will make 2011 a year full of joy...not always happiness because happiness is often based on earthly circumstances...but JOY is found in Christ alone.

I often get discouraged mid-way through the year thinking, "man I really failed at all those resolutions I kept!" Last year was a rollercoaster year spiritually for me and I spent a LOT of it very "bla" spiritually. This year i want to be different! I want to come to 2012 knowing God on the most intimate level I ever have.....NO head knowledge....all heart.

What will you do to spirtually nourish yourself in 2011?

2 comments:

  1. Love that verse and this post! And I feel the same way as far as last year being spiritually dry and trying to improve and grow closer to God this year, without setting legalistic rules/resolutions. I know everyone's relationship with God is personal and unique, but I've started writing in a prayer journal every night, and that's been an awesome, spiritually nourishing change for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey, I really want to start doing that!!! Thank you so much for your comment! i really appreciate it....hope you're having an amazing start to a brand new year! :)

    ReplyDelete